Friday, June 13, 2014

Movie Review: Maleficent starring Angelina Jolie


Maleficent starring Angelina Jolie


I had a chance this past week to go see Maleficent in the theaters. Warning there may be some spoilers in the following review. Sounding the Spoiler Foghorn now.  

I stayed away from the reviews and I have heard from others about it being a mix. I personally enjoyed it. It's a different take on the Sleeping Beauty tale with the tale being told from Maleificent's point of view. 

King Steffan and the Queen


It's starts out with her childhood and how she meets Steffan. The scenery in the movie is absolutely gorgeous. Steffan at first is just a regular boy and not royalty and later on he comes in service of the King who wants to get rid of Maleficent because of her powers. Steffan fits the bill and he later becomes king. Because of this Maleficient seeks her revenge later when Steffan and his wife have baby Aurora. 

The three faeries


The faeries who are re-named in this are okay and just a little bit comical looking in their faerie form. The Pink Faerie was played by Imelda Staunton, who played Delores Umbridge in the Harry Potter series and of course Delores's favorite color was pink so that got a little taking used to. We get to see Aurora grow up over the years and her interactions with Maleficent. The ending was good, though I could see why some might not like it. It's a very different take seeing a villain in a different light/role. I'm used to this from Once Upon a Time, though that show has quoted with a few of their characters that villains can't get happy endings. I disagree there. If you're a villian and try to redeem yourself for something that you've done you should have the chance for a happy ending.   

Princess Aurora


Side note:  If you like reading about Disney villains and seeing them in a different light I would highly recommend Fairest of All by Serena Valentino which is the story of the Evil Queen from Snow White. Ms. Valentino has another book coming out featuring the Beast from Beauty and the Beast called The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince which is coming out in July.


-Holly

1 comment:

  1. Well, she is one of my favorite actors but I wonder how I skipped this movie. I must add it to my watch list. I am also planning to add some good series by Andy Yeatman to the watch list for my kids. Their vacation is about to start.

    ReplyDelete